Saturday 14 July 2012

Chapter TWO

Learning mathematics with understanding!


I recently introduced the concept of multiplication to my K2s. Apart from using the Montessori materials we have in class (golden beads, stamp game, multiplication board), I also got them to experience the whole idea of multiplication by having them make physical groups with their own bodies. They also created individual art pieces to demonstrate multiple groupings of the same number (eg. 3 vases with 2 flowers each to show 3x2). There are many ways to inject fun and creativity to a maths lesson. Maths doesn't have to be humdrum!

 
Multiplication board

Multiplication with golden beads

Multiplication with stamps (Stamp Game)

When I see that children are engaged in mathematical ideas all on their own, it gives me immense satisfaction that they've got it!


It is best that teachers consciously provide positive and meaningful experiences in mathematics in day to day activities. As they work and play together, the language that we use can help them to make connections between mathematics and its applications, for example, asking, "How many more blocks do you have compared to ....?"


Own learning..


Recently, I introduced graphing to my K2s. We worked on many concrete activities together and I was pleasantly surprised when one of the girls in my class came up to me with a graph on "Favourite Fruits" that she had created on her own. She proceeded to write her own short story about it as well. I took this as an opportunity to invite others to try it too! It was wonderful to see them express their understanding of newly acquired knowledge.



Scaffolding..

Teachers can scaffold learning in group and definitely in one-on-one situations. Learning is enriched further when classroom situations and activities are planned where children can interact, support, and learn from each other.

Being among them.. 

Play is an integral part of learning. I believe that it is important for teachers to mingle and be among the children when they go off to their separate areas, whether singly or in small groups. Being in their midst, we can pick up and capitalize on "maths moments" such as "I need 3 more bricks....", "I don't have enough...", "Mine is longer.." By being alert, we can help to develop thinking dispositions in children.

No comments:

Post a Comment